Swinton Whitelea Road, Railway Bridge Reconstruction – The final phase of the infill project of the old L.N.ER. cutting would be the under fill and reconstruction of the sides of Whitelee Road Bridge. This reconstruction was necessitated due to a recycling waste plant at one side and a steep drop at the other
Swinton, Queen Street, Railway Cutting Infill – Prior to the landfill which started in 1998, the line had been in the management of various railway companies. The line first opened in 1850, and passenger traffic ended in 1959, with just freight running on the line up to its closure in 1998.
Swinton Bridge Strengthening – Modifications as far back as 1927 were undertaken to raise the bridge four and a half feet due to empty canal barges having difficulty in passing through. This due to to coal measures being extracted over the years with subsidence of the land land taking place. Come 2014, and it was found that the bridge with age needed strengthening, and here in still format shows the actual work being carried out
On the 25th.of July 2001, outside the former premises of the “Queens Foundry” an electric iron is presented to the Swinton Heritage Group. No ordinary electric iron, for this iron was bought in 1936 from the sales shop of the “Queens Foundry.”
The concluding part to Creighton Woods, where tree felling and general thinning of the woods is being carried out on a Tree Management Plan 2007 to 2012
This video “WALK IN CREIGHTON WOODS” is aptly titled on the intro title as “A WALK ON THE WILD SIDE”. Before a tree management team were to come and designate trees for felling or thinning, I went with my camcorder and a friend to walk through the wood, and the friends name by the way was Ernie Wilde
Jennie Forster, Granddaughter of Ernest Dixon Drakeford, Cunard Bandsman who survived the sinking of R.M.S. Lusitania in 1915, relates on her times at the confectionery shop where Ernest Dixon Drakeford grew up
Music score to the loss of R.M.S. Lusitania, is provided by Mrs.Jennie Forster, Granddaughter of Ernest Dixon Drakeford (Bandsman who survived the sinking.) It is played here by expert pianist, David Clarke of the Rotherham Schools Music Service
On the 27th.of May 2004, Bill Ely an expert entomologist, came to St.Margaret’s Church Swinton, to carry out an ecology study. A member of The Yorkshire Naturalists Union and a Rotherham man, he had picked a lovely day to conduct this survey
In July of 2004, the base of the old Swinton Buttercross, which had stood in modern times outside the West door of St.Margaret’s Church at Swinton, was moved. It was to be re-sited close to it’s original position, which was close to the site of the old Norman Chapel, where now stands the Church Hall. A new sandstone cross was incorporated, and we see here, the work carried out from start to completion.
As an indication as to what Swinton has done in the past in respect of industry, 3 relevant structures were made, comprising of stone, wood and iron, and each was placed more or less at the 3 entrances to the town
the re-facing and re-inscription, of the Swinton War Memorial. A unique event, inasmuch as it gives a view of the Memorial not many have seen before, and that is the re-faced Memorial without any names on at all
A bat watch was held in the area surrounding St.Margaret’s Church, and conducting the event would be Jim Staveley of Greener Places Ltd
While workmen were demolishing the former Ward & Sons mineral water building in 2005, they discovered a hoard of pottery shards from the old Don Pottery.
In October of 2003 a geophysical survey was taken on a playing field at Piccadilly, Swinton, in South Yorkshire. This was to determine the tract of the Roman Rig, which around 200 yards away in a wood, part of it had been demolished in the past for agriculture.
Pathe News clip about the Manvers Rail disaster
Swinton People tribute site.
Roll of Honour for World War losses
Excellent site of Fitzwilliam school History. Contains great memories and photos.